Coastal Growers Farmers’ Market Summer Market Manager
Coastal Growers Market is a 6 month Saturday farmers’ market. The market is held at Casey Farm in Saunderstown. The market is a place to buy fresh food and other goods but also a gathering spot for the community with live music and other events throughout the year. The market is self-governed by a diverse group of small businesses. The Board of Directors organizes the group and is the primary decision-making entity.
The Market Manager is hired by Coastal Growers Market and is responsible for the operation of the Saturday Farmers Market, and administrative operations of the Coastal Growers Farmers Market.
The Market Manager has a strong knowledge and understanding of local agriculture, the food community and the marketing skills to promote the market. The Market Manager works with the Office Manager and the CGM Board to support the mission of the group. The CGM relies on the Manager to be its liaison with all involved parties in market operations.
Promote the market through email newsletters, social media, press releases, special events and other advertising tools.
Maintain communication between the vendors, customers, “landlords” and the board of directors
Maintaining a list of all vendors, email addresses and telephone numbers
Assist with developing meeting agendas and attend/participate in both board and general membership meetings.
Coordinate with the office manager and the treasurer regarding the financials of the organization.
Coordinate volunteers to help at market and on other projects.
Schedule the artisan vendors.
Be present on Saturday to manage the farmers’ market. The responsibilities for Saturday Market management include:
- Setup and breakdown ensuring safety and cleanliness, including assisting vendors with set-up/breakdown (The position requires physical movement: bending, lifting (up to 50lbs), reaching, pushing, pulling, etc.)
- Keeping weekly records of the market including vendor attendance and payment, other events happening in vicinity that affect the market attendance, weather, SNAP/EBT totals, Music and Entertainment, Customer numbers
- Managing special events
- Coordinating with vendors concerning location and other issues
- Supervise volunteers and other staff
- Enforce the rules of the market
- Assist with parking if needed
- Coordinate the market food stamp and credit card coin exchange station
- Other duties that may arise
Positive attitude, enjoying good communication with customers, vendors, the board of directors and volunteers. Punctual and reliable. Self-motivated to work quickly and efficiently to perform Primary Responsibilities. Able to work in groups and independently. Able and willing to lift up to 50lbs, bending, kneeling, etc. Experience with farming and sales work is preferred. Inquisitive minds are strongly encouraged.
Work period and Compensation
Contact: This is a part-time salaried position and requires the management of the market every Saturday and additional hours per week on non-market days. The position starts April 1, 2020 and runs until November 15, 2020.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.